Frequently asked questions
Coworking is different at The Skiff
Here are some answers to common questions:
- What is Coworking?
To us, Coworking is a state of mind - the belief that we are happier and more productive working together than alone.
Coworking and The Skiff are built on 5 core values:Coworking can happen anywhere - but The Skiff happens to be a particularly great place to do it!
- How much does membership cost?
- Can I come by and see The Skiff?
We used to love welcoming walk-in visitors. As part of our Covid policy, we're now limiting access to 30 people per day. So you'll need to book an appointment. If you decide to join without a tour you'll have 14 days to request a full refund. Provided you've used the space twice in that time there will be no questions asked!
- What is the best way to get to The Skiff?
- By bus:
- Our nearest main stop is near St Peter’s Church. See a bus route map here.
- By train:
- We’re just a few minutes downhill from Brighton station.
- By bicycle:
- We have a bike storage inside and will be building an outdoor bike port in the future (leave bikes at your own risk).
- By car:
- Street parking is limited and expensive in the centre of Brighton, but there are several car parks in the area.
- By bus:
- Does The Skiff host events that are open to the public?
Indeed we do - every week! Check out our events page for upcoming events.
- Can I run an event at The Skiff?
We have some space for evening events at The Skiff. Generally, events that are free to attend and open to all are free to run. You can see the availability we have in our calendar on our events page.
Events can be run between 1900 and 2300 Monday to Friday. If you find a slot you like (most events are monthly and on the n-th X-day of each month, e.g. 4th Monday) you can book a room here- we can then arrange things like locking up (if you know a current Skiffmate who would like to attend that would make things much easier!).
- Can I rent The Skiff for a meeting?
First things first: have you visited The Skiff before? We're a bit different from the usual office/event space, so it's important that you stop by to see how things work before you jump into planning how you use our space.
Meeting rooms are only available to Skiffmates, but if you're just looking for space and not membership of a community, then we might not be the best fit for you.
Still want to talk to us? Drop us an email.
- I make a lot of phone calls for work - is The Skiff the place for me?
The odd phone call is not a problem, and most people move to a separate area or empty meeting room to take longer calls, but The Skiff tends to not be the best place for people who spend a lot of time on the phone.
- Can I use The Skiff as my business address?
We're not a virtual office, nor do we love sorting mail. We'd like to work alongside you, not your neglected Miniature Donkey Talk subscription. Only Chief Mates have use of postal address included. There is more information about use of our address here(only members can view this).
If you do use The Skiff as your business address you have to promise to pick up your mail often! Also, if you could help out with answering the door (many deliveries a day can be annoying for your coworkers) that would help a lot. You should NOT however use The Skiff as your company's Registered Address (use your accountant's or home address for that).
- Can The Skiff forward me some names and resumes?
Looking to link-up with ridiculously talented independent workers? Join our community, spend some time working here on your thing, and build sincere relationships along the way. If you're only looking to stuff your rolodex, however, we're probably not the right place for you to be.
- What facilities fo you have?
- Kitchen with free coffee and tea (several varieties!) and a microwave, fridge, toaster etc.
- Super-fast (that's a technical term) 350mb up and down leased line internet
- Black and white printer
- Can I split my days up?
Yes, you can split your days into half days to use over the month if you prefer. We just ask that you keep these half days at 0800-1300 and 1300-1800, to keep the maximum number of desks available for other coworkers.
- How much notice do I have to give if I want to leave?
If you want to cancel your membership of The Skiff we ask that you give at least a month's notice i.e. if your membership renews on the 15th of each month, please let us know by the 14th of the month before you would like to cancel.
- Weren't you once somewhere else in Brighton?
We started out in 2008 with a small space on Cheltenham Place. In 2010 we moved to Gloucester Street, and in 2012 expanded that space through to Gloucester Road. In late 2016 we moved to our current space on Cheapside, which gives us much more space for all our members. We do love North Laine very much!
- What’s with all the sailing stuff?
In 2008 we thought that a boat was a great analogy for a Coworking space, with a team of people who work together to get to different places. We still do :)
Also, we’re by the sea.
With thanks to Indy Hall for the FAQ inspiration!